Employer: The University of Hong Kong
Closing date: 15 November 2018
Brief position description: The Ho Laboratory at the School of Biomedical Sciences of the University of Hong Kong (https://holab-hku.github.io/) focuses on the use of bioinformatics and systems biology approaches to tackle longstanding problems in basic and transnational medicine. Most projects in this laboratory involve integrative analysis next-generation sequencing (NGS) data such as single-cell RNA-seq, ChIP-seq, and whole genome sequencing data. Some research areas include:
- Scalable algorithm for single cell RNA-seq analysis
- 3D virtual reality visualisation of biological data
- Wearable devices, physical activity and heart rate dynamics
- Causal disease mutation identification in whole genome sequencing data
- A cloud-based approach for incorporating scalability into genome informatics
- Integrative metagenomics analysis
We are seeking outstanding PhD students to join our laboratory. Very strong candidates are eligible to apply for a prestigious Hong Kong PhD Fellowship, which will provide a tax-free scholarship of HKD$301,200 (AUD$54,460) per year. The fellowship also provides a travel allowance of HKD$12,600 (AUD$2,280) per year for the duration of the candidature.
- Bachelor degree in a quantitative discipline (bioinformatics computer science, statistics, mathematics, physics, engineering, etc), with first class honours or equivalent.
- Proficient in at least one programming / scripting language (R, python, perl, C, C++, Java, etc)
- Familiarity with the Unix operating system
- Prior experience in bioinformatics is desirable
Eligible candidates may also be considered for employment as a research assistant or postdoctoral fellow (for PhD holders).
Job website: http://www.sbms.hku.hk/staff/joshua-wing-kei-ho
Contact name: Joshua Ho
Contact email: firstname.lastname@example.org