Employer: Garvan Institute of Medical Research
Closing date: Open until filled
Brief position description: In 2017, the Garvan Weizmann Centre for Cellular Genomics (GWCCG) was formed, bringing together the Garvan Institute of Medical Research and The Weizmann Institute of Science to build Australia’s first Centre for Cellular Genomics.
The Garvan and the Weizmann Institutes have harnessed their synergistic strengths (in cytometry, genomics, informatics, and data visualisation) to enable cellular and single cell genomics to become routine tools for clinical and scientific analysis of many disease states. The Centre has a specific focus on 1) application of genomics (including DNA, transcriptomics, and epigenomics) to understand the cellular processes of the brain, immune system, and cancer; 2) the diagnosis of genetic diseases, stratification of cancers, and avoidance of adverse drug reactions; 3) the advancement of personal genetic health; and 4) the development of an improved health system that uses targeted information at cellular level to improve outcomes for patients and to better focus healthcare expenditure.
The Production Bioinformatician will oversee the development, implementation and support of software and computational pipelines to translate raw single cell sequence data through to researchers. The role will focus on supporting robust and production scale pipelines that run on either local or national HPC systems, as well as cloud services.
Reporting to the Head of GWCCG Dr Joseph Powell, the key responsibilities include:
• Develop, implement and maintain the computational infrastructures required to support the analysis of high-throughput single cell sequencing data.
• Support the translation of new computational techniques from a research setting to production scale tools
• Work closely with Garvan’s Data Intensive Computer Engineering (DICE) group regarding the building of software pipelines that will run on DICE’s HPC and OpenStack computing environment, Australia’s supercomputing facility, the National Computational Infrastructure (NCI), as well as on commercial clouds (AWS, Google, and Azure)
• Identify areas of improvement in the GWCCG computational techniques and ensure the centre is adopting global best practices
• Assist collaborators in data analysis and to check the validity of experimental results
• Create computational solutions to generate automated reports from raw high-throughput single cell sequence data
• Establish and maintain excellent records of the computational analysis and techniques for all projects in GWCCG
• Represent GWCCG at national and international conferences, engaging with the research and clinical community, and promote the expansion of GWCCG through participation outreach initiatives
This role is offered on a full-time basis for 2 years in the first instance.
You will have the following key skills and experience:
• The Bioinformatician shall possess a MSc or higher degree in a relevant area of science or informatics (exceptional candidates with a BSc will be considered)
• Expertise in computational bioinformatics techniques, with a special focus on single cell transcriptomics, genomics and epigenetics
• Experience working in genome informatics in either a research or commercial setting is highly desirable
• Demonstrated experience in working in high performance computing environments
• Very strong programming skills in languages such as C/C++, Python, Perl, and R
• Demonstrated experience in using version control and software repositories
• Demonstrated experience in the development and implementation of new and cutting-edge bioinformatics tools
• Demonstrated experience in the development and implementation of training and education programs with a focus on bioinformatics techniques
• Demonstrated experience in project management methodology including planning, implementation and reporting, and the ability to assess priorities and manage competing deadlines.
• Excellent written and oral communication, representation and interpersonal skills essential for interaction with internal and external stakeholders, including GWCCG Executives
How to Apply
All applications must be submitted via the Garvan Careers site via the link below. Applications from other sites/channels will unfortunately not be considered.
Your application should include:
• A cover letter
• Your resume including at least 2 referees
• Copies of relevant qualifications / academic transcripts
Only applicants with full working rights in Australia are eligible to apply for this role.
As we are reviewing applications as they are received, we encourage you to submit your application as soon as possible.
Contact name: Joseph Powell