Position title: Genetic Counsellor
Employer: Garvan Institute of Medical Research
Closing date: 05-12-2019
Brief position description: The Garvan Institute of Medical Research (Garvan) is one of Australia’s leading medical research institutes, with over 600 scientists, students and support staff. Its mission is to make significant contributions to medical research that will change the directions of science and medicine and have major impacts on human health. Garvan’s research encompasses immunology, bone biology, neuroscience, diabetes and metabolism, cancer, and genomics and epigenetics. These research activities are organised within four themes: Cancer, Inflammatory Diseases, Healthy Aging, and Genomics, and two Centres: the Kinghorn Centre for Clinical Genomics and the Garvan-Weizmann Centre for Cellular Genomics.
The Kinghorn Centre for Clinical Genomics (KCCG), established by the Garvan Institute is an Australian research and sequencing centre delivering genomic information for clinical use. The KCCG facilitates genome-based research, particularly in cancer and monogenic diseases, but also in complex disease such as diabetes, osteoporosis and immunological disease. Our vision is to translate medical research into clinical care in Australia and beyond by integrating sequencing, bioinformatics and data management in a cutting-edge Genomics research environment.
The genetic counsellor will contribute to the development and delivery of a range of projects in line with established objectives of the Clinical Translation Group in KCCG. Specifically, to coordinate with the establishment and evaluate a National Genomics Research Resource Centre (NGRRC) which will bring together researchers, research participants, genetic counsellors, clinicians as well as clinical genetic services to ensure nationally consistent approach to providing clinically actionable germline genomic information generated through research. Once the NGRRC is established the genetic counsellor will provide genetic counselling to research participants.
Reporting to the Head of KCCG - Scientific, this is a two year fixed term position with a potential to extend. The key responsibilities include:
- Project manage establishing the NGRRC including a web-based platform with a tailored messaging system, 1800 telephone line accessible to researchers and research participants and online resources for researchers and research participants.
- Provide genetic counselling to research participants notified of clinically actionable genetic information with on-referral to clinical genetic services.
- Prepare and maintain documentation for reporting, monitoring and evaluation purposes to ensure accessibility of quality information and contribute to the achievement of NGRRC project outcomes.
- Contribute to the evaluation of the NGRRC.
- All staff are required to comply with Garvan’s Work Health & Safety (WHS) Policy and work in accordance with the WHS management system at all times.
- A postgraduate qualification in Genetic Counselling
- Human Genetics Society of Australasia (HGSA) Board eligible Associate Genetic Counsellor, or HGSA certified Genetic - Counsellor and a current financial member of the HGSA and Australasian Society of Genetic Counsellors (ASGC)
- Experience in project management desirable in a professional, clinical or research environment
- Excellent organisational and interpersonal skills with the ability to innovate and achieve results
- Clear and articulate communication skills both written and verbal with ability to work independently with multiple stakeholders
- Advanced computer skills, with fluency in a variety of software packages including Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- Experienced in the use of databases, writing and presenting documents and reports, as well as using online library searching software
How to Apply
All applications must include a cover letter, resume including at least 2 referees and copies of relevant qualifications / academic transcripts and apply in the company website.
The position will remain open until filled. As we will be reviewing applications as they are received, we encourage you to submit yours as soon as possible.
Job website: garvan.wd3.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/garvan_institute/job/Sydney/Genetic-Counsellor_PRF5282-1
Contact name: Shree Chattopadhyay
Contact email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Position title: Genetic Counsellor