Position title: Junior & Senior Bioinformaticians
Employer: Garvan Institute of Medical Research
Closing date: The position will remain open until filled. As we will be reviewing applications as they are received, we encourage you to submit yours as soon as possible.
Brief position description: Established by the Garvan Institute in 2012, the Kinghorn Centre for Clinical Genomics (KCCG) advances the use of genomic information in patient care. KCCG acts as a mechanism to translate genomic research information into patient care. To do this KCCG employs experts in genomics including researchers, bioinformaticians, clinicians, educators and software engineers. We use world-leading OMICS based technology to enhance diagnosis and treatment for patients.
KCCG is integrated with numerous state and nationwide flagship genomic research projects, and partners with many national and international collaborative organisations and funding bodies.
The Translational Genome Informatics Group (TIG) within KCCG is a multidisciplinary team of bioinformaticians, statisticians, software engineers and clinical researchers, developing and deploying bioinformatic methods to study genomic variation, focussed on particular diseases. This work includes rare monogenic disease and cancer as well as complex diseases such as diabetes, osteoporosis and immunological immune diseases.
This position will work with the team leader of the Translational Genome Informatics Group to perform research into translational genomics, including developing, streamlining, and validating approaches for analysing and interpreting multi-omic data with the focus on clinical translation.
The role will be responsible for developing new bioinformatic approaches to study unique aspects of various diseases, and incorporate these into the analytical pipeline. These methods should be developed in a manner consistent with KCCG’s development practices, so that they can be translated into the clinical pipeline. There is scope within this position to perform genomics and bioinformatics research, publish scientific papers, and to pursue independent funding.
Reporting to the Head of Translational Genomics, this position will be responsible for helping to provide direction and support in clinical genomics, genome informatics and translational research in cancer genomics. This will include:
• Undertaking and directing translational research with an emphasis on developing biological insights that are relevant to patient outcomes.
• Improve the breadth, quality and efficiency of existing genomic analysis pipelines, through development of improved bioinformatics approaches.
• Develop approaches to optimise and streamline interpretation of genomes.
• Day-to-day support and occasional training of students and junior staff as required.
• Occasionally represent KCCG at events, or talks with external stakeholders.
• Staying abreast on advances in genomics and next generation sequencing technology in general as well as maintaining knowledge about clinical genomic testing and personalised medicine.
The position will be offered full-time for 2 years in the first instance.
• PhD degree in a related area of science, or equivalent, or Master’s degree with at least 3 years of experience
• Significant postdoctoral or industry experience in related disciplines (for senior role)
• Highly developed skills in bioinformatics and genomics
• Strong expertise in working with next-generation sequencing data
• Ability to develop, manage and maintain internal and external relationships
• Highly developed written and verbal communications skills
• Project management skills
• Strong expertise in clinical interpretation of genomic data
• Software engineering skills: source control management, unit and regression testing, continuous integration
• Expertise in developing diagnostic assays, and assessing their analytical performance
How to Apply
All applications must be submitted via the Garvan Careers site via the link below. Applications from other sites/channels will unfortunately not be considered.
Your application should include:
• A cover letter
• Your resume including at least 2 referees
• Copies of relevant qualifications / academic transcripts
Only applicants with working rights in Australia are eligible to apply for this role.
Job website: https://garvan.applynow.net.au/jobs/GC201924
Contact name: Kim Ooi
Contact email: firstname.lastname@example.org