Position title: Bioinformatician (Research Officer)
Employer: Murdoch Children's Research Institute
Closing date: 08/02/19
Brief position description: We are seeking a Full Time Research Officer/Postdoc (on a 2.5 Year contract) with strong experience in bioinformatics and a passion for understanding the genetics of rare disease. The role will be focused on the generation, analysis and interpretation of genomic and transcriptomic data from cohorts of individuals with rare genetic disorders. The successful applicant will join the join the Translational Bioinformatics group led by Dr Cas Simons, and work in collaboration with clinicians from the Victorian Clinical Genetics Service, the Royal Children’s Hospital, and national and international collaborators.
The position will be responsible for the analysis of whole genome, exome and transcriptomic data with the aim to establish the molecular basis of rare genetic disorders.
To be successful in this role you will have:
- PhD in genomics, computational biology, bioinformatics, molecular biology, or a related discipline, with significant computational components
- Substantial experience in the analysis and interpretation of next-generation sequence data
- Evidence of advanced programming skills in Python and BASH
- Experience with version control (e.g. Git, Mercurial) and high-performance computing environments (e.g. PBS, SLURM)
- Evidence of well-developed written and verbal communication skills, for example in academic publications and conference presentations
- Proven ability to work effectively as part of a team to develop and complete research tasks, as well as the motivation and discipline to carry out autonomous research
Salary Range: $90,912 - $97,585 per annum plus super
Position Reference: 15380
Contact name: Cas Simons
Contact email: email@example.com