Employer: Garvan Institute of Medical Research
Closing date: As we are reviewing applications as they are received, we encourage you to submit your application as soon as possible.
Brief position description: The Garvan Institute of Medical Research is one of Australia’s leading medical research institutes, with over 600 scientists, students and support staff. At Garvan our research is focused upon understanding the role of genes and molecular and cellular processes in health and disease as the basis for developing future preventions, treatments and cures. Our scientists are researchers who work towards making significant breakthroughs in scientific discovery to positively impact human health.
Our research support teams are no different. Like our scientists, we only recruit the best professionals in our Core Facilities which include Clinical Genomics, Flow Cytometry, Molecular Genetics, Histopathology and Microscopy. Our support teams are experts in their fields and are driven by the dynamic culture, innovation and cutting-edge research that Garvan offers. At Garvan no two days are the same.
Garvan has established the Kinghorn Centre for Clinical Genomics (KCCG) Core Facility to be at the forefront of translational advancements in DNA sequencing from research into the clinic and improve future patient care.
We’re currently looking for a talented and motivated bioinformatics software engineer with a strong background in computer science, next-generation sequencing data analysis and a passion for learning about genomics to join the Production Bioinformatics team. Bioinformaticians and Software Engineers at all levels of experience are welcome to apply for this 1-year position with the possibility of extension.
Reporting to the Bioinformatics Manager, the key responsibilities are:
• Develop, implement and maintain automated high-throughput production for research and clinical genome sequencing pipelines.
• Design and implement pipelines to run on the internal and external high performance compute infrastructure and commercial clouds (AWS, GCP, Azure).
• Provide bioinformatics support to customers of the sequencing facility.
• Development of dashboards to proactively monitor process performance and sequencing quality.
• Take cutting edge bioinformatics research tools and implement them into production to support the development of new NGS based services.
You will have the following key skills and attributes:
• Bachelor’s degree (or higher) in Bioinformatics, Computer Science or related fields
• Experience with analysis of next-generation sequencing data
• Experience with Linux command line and scripting languages (Python, Bash, R or other)
• Experience with source code management tools (git preferred)
• Excellent problem solving abilities and strong attention to detail
• Ability to work independently
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills
• Understanding of genomics, transcriptomics and epigenetics
• Experience with testing frameworks across languages, including unit, integration and acceptance testing
• Experience with cluster computing, e.g. Sun Grid Engine, Torque, PBS
• Experience with cloud computing platforms, e.g. Amazon Web Services
• Experience in a NATA accredited laboratory environment
• Experience with laboratory information management systems (LIMS)
How to Apply
All applications must be submitted via the Garvan Careers site via the link below. Applications from other sites/channels will unfortunately not be considered.
Your application should include:
• A cover letter
• Your resume including at least 2 referees
• Copies of relevant qualifications / academic transcripts
Only applicants with full working rights in Australia are eligible to apply for this role.
Job website: http://garvan.applynow.net.au/jobs/GC201896
Contact name: Human Resources
Contact email: firstname.lastname@example.org